• The above photo is of Carson, the day he was born, and one of the mares from his herd. He was struggling to find any of them that he could bond and nurse from.
  • Fertility study horses are wild horses (aka mustangs, estrays, Comstock) gathered from the Virginia range in Nevada and were used by the vet school in Nevada/Reno through the Dept of Ag to study various pregnancy prevention products looking for a use to help control wild horses. The grant money ran out, and through a series of events the horses ended up at our ranch - 33 of them. From this group there were 2 aborted foals, 1 stillborn colt, 1 filly (aka Hope) died after 1 week, 2 more fillies that are healthy, and Carson. The stallions have been gelded and are at various locations in Nevada. This is Carson's story...

Carson – Our Little Spirit of the West

CarsonBorn in the early morning hours of April 21, 2009, to one of the Virginia Range fertility study mares currently residing at our ranch, Carson has had a terribly difficult start to life.   On morning rounds this young guy was found running from mare to mare trying to nurse, and being kicked & rolled over and over again.  Mom wanted nothing to do with him, and without immediate intervention he would have died.  Carson_Steve

We led the little guy in to a holding pen that we immediately bedded down for his comfort and began our search for colostrum, believing mom’s rejection included not receiving the vital antibodies for this youngster to survive. After locating a similar formula the feeding routine started.  However, by the middle of the night on the first night we noticed that there were problems.  After a call to our vet Carson was rushed to the clinic where he started plasma transfusions and antibiotics.  After blood results it was discovered that the little guy must have been several hours old when we gave him his colostrum and it wasn’t quite enough.  After a few more blood tests it was then discovered that the mare, for some reason, had developed some type of infectious condition that had been transferred to Carson during the 3rd trimester.  Although not toxic to mom, Carson’s survival odds quickly declined.

2 bags of plasma and strong antibiotics our vet suggested we take Carson to the closest Vet School for more intensive treatment, giving him little chance of making it through the next day, at best.  After we discussed all options it was decided that we would rather take the chance at home where we could guarantee 24 hour hands on care and more love than he could ever receive elsewhere.  We believed if Carson’s life was going to be short, it would be with those who love him.  We converted our tack room into a nursery, brought in a heater, ran a cable for the IV bag, and took turns doing all we could to assure Carson’s survival.


(Thank you, Ms Janet, for the foal blanket)

Carson_SusanThe directors, ranch managers, and even the dogs, are pulling their shifts.  Although we are blessed another day with this loving guy, we are still not out of the woods. Carson_TomCarson_Kato
As of August 1, 2009, our vet bill is still over $800.  If you can help at all donations can be made through paypal to whisperingwindsequinerescue@msn.com, or directly to the vet’s office:Carson Pohlman,  Bailey Vet Clinic 248 N.W. Garden Valley Blvd Roseburg, OR 97470

Please help us, so we can continue helping Carson.

View Carson in action  here

Carson’s mom – taken the day before foaling

Carson’s dad – gelded and living just outside of Reno

One Response



    SUSAN C.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: